When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
- Since its 2015 debut, Amazon Prime Day has cemented itself as a major, can’t-be-missed retail sales holiday.
- With its competitive savings and breadth of deals, Prime Day is just one of the benefits Prime members can enjoy.
- Last year, Prime Day was a 48-hour event from July 15-16, and dates for Prime Day 2020 have not been announced yet but recent reports say the event will take place in October.
- While we await Prime Day 2020, here are some other ways you can save: sign up for a free 30-day Prime trial, shop online sales going on today, find coupons for your favorite stores, and browse all the latest deals here.
- Check out all of our Amazon Prime Day 2020 coverage here.
Big retail sales are no longer limited to a thinly-veiled partnership with major US holidays. In fact, many retailers have created their own “holidays.” Nordstrom has its popular Anniversary Sale. Nike has Air Max Day. And of course, the online behemoth Amazon has Prime Day.
What is Amazon Prime Day?
Introduced in 2015 in part to celebrate Amazon’s 20th anniversary, the first Amazon Prime Day was a one-day-only retail holiday for Prime members that sought to overtake Black Friday as the sales event of the year.
The inaugural Prime Day received some criticism from shoppers who weren’t happy with the quality and quantity of deals offered but Amazon has stepped up its game in both realms since.
During Prime Day, you can expect prices that are their lowest ever, besting even Black Friday on popular items from tech, beauty, home and kitchen, and virtually every other category under the sun.
Last year, Prime Day was a huge success; during the 48-hour sale event held on July 15-16, members bought more than 175 million items. It was the biggest shopping day in company history until it was surpassed by Cyber Monday shortly after, a familiar pattern of record-breaking.
Who has access to Prime Day?
New members can try Prime out for 30 days before committing, so if you’re not yet a member, you should time your sign-up to the month of October, to get free Prime Day access.
When is Prime Day?
Due to recent delays and increased demand related to the novel coronavirus pandemic, Amazon has pushed back the event to the fall. A report says Prime Day will happen in October this year. The exact dates for Prime Day 2020 have not yet been announced.
Based on previous years, we had previously expected it to take place in mid-July.
Every year, the sale event lasts longer and longer, so we wouldn’t be surprised if Prime Day 2020 lasts more than 48 hours. Plus, since it’ll mark the company’s 25th anniversary, Amazon is sure to make this year’s Prime Day extra special.
What deals are available during Prime Day?
As for deals you can expect, there will be a lot, and new deals start as often as every five minutes. Last year, members took advantage of deals like:
- $100 off the Fire TV Recast (usually $230)
- Four months of Amazon Music Unlimited for only $0.99 (save $31)
- Three months of Kindle Unlimited for free (save $30)
Business Insider readers loved the sharply discounted Echo Dot and Kindle Paperwhite; whitening strips from Crest and toothbrushes from Philips Sonicare; and robot vacuums from Eufy, Dyson, and iRobot.
Historically, Prime Day is the best time of the year to buy an Amazon device. In the past, the company has offered the biggest deals on Alexa-enabled products like the Echo smart speakers, the Fire TV, and Fire tablets. Most of these Amazon devices should be on sale this Prime Day and may include the newest Alexa-enabled products introduced late last year.
Examples of past Amazon device deals include:
- $28 off the Echo Dot (originally $50)
- $25 off the Fire TV Stick 4K (originally $50)
- $45 off the Kindle Paperwhite (originally $130)
Outside of physical device deals, there will be deals on Amazon services and memberships like entertainment (Kindle Unlimited, Amazon Music Unlimited, Prime Video, Audible, etc.) and grocery shopping (Amazon Fresh, Amazon Pantry, Whole Foods, etc.).
Will there be more deals outside of Amazon?
Prime Day is also a great time to shop at other retailers in addition to Amazon. In previous years, plenty of other online retailers threw competing sales around Prime Day. However, because Prime Day is postponed this year, we’re not sure yet whether retailers like Nordstrom, Target, and eBay will also move their summer sales accordingly.
We’ll update you here once we know more about other sales that will happen in October as well.
What we do know is that Amazon’s perks like fast and free 2-day shipping remain, making Prime Day more often than not the winner in a competition of price and convenience.
If you still have lingering questions, read our guide to the most frequently asked questions about Amazon Prime Day. One major tip is to sign up for a free 30-day Amazon Prime trial if you’re not already a member so you can take advantage of the deals.
If you plan on shopping Prime Day this year, we’ll be covering from nearly every point of entry and combing through thousands of deals to cherry-pick the ones you won’t want to miss
Check back at our Prime Day 2020 page (or bookmark it) for easy access to the best deals as they pop up throughout Amazon Prime Day 2020 and to learn about any updates.
The best deals overall:
- The best tech deals to expect
- The best headphone deals to expect
- The best speaker deals to expect
- The best laptop deals to expect
- The best smartphone deals to expect
- The best smart home deals to expect
- The best deals on Amazon devices to expect
- The best Kindle deals to expect
- The best Ring doorbell deals to expect
Home, kitchen, and travel:
- The best kitchen deals to expect
- The best home and furniture deals to expect
- The best deals on luggage and travel gear to expect
- The best deals on bulk items for the home to expect
- The best deals on Vitamix blenders to expect
- The best deals on Instant Pots to expect
Fashion, beauty, and personal care:
Learn more about Prime Day:
- Amazon Prime Day 2020 will feature tons of limited-time ‘Lightning Deals’ — here’s how to get them
- When is Amazon Prime Day 2020? Everything you need to know
- How to shop on Amazon Prime Day 2020 — all the tips and tricks you need to save the most money possible
- 30 useful Amazon Prime benefits to know that go beyond free 2-day shipping
- Target competes with Amazon each year by running its biggest sale of the summer at the exact same time as Prime Day — here’s what to expect from Target Deal Days this year
- The very best deals you can expect from Walmart’s competing Prime Day 2020 sale — including Google devices, Apple devices, and 4K smart TVs
- How to use Amazon Family to save money on all the things your kids need
Powered by WPeMatico