COVID-19

Two new Covid cases in Mildura

The first case was a Mildura man who attended the MCG returned a positive test at the weekend.A member of the man’s household was confirmed as the second case.Details on the third and fourth case have not been revealed.However, of Victoria’s 26 new cases announced on Thursday, only two were said to be in the community while infectious.More than 2600 tests had been taken in Mildura in the days after the first positive, according to Sunraysia Community Health Services.After long wait times, demand eventually eased on Wednesday, allowing the health organisation to revert back to having one active testing site.All those needing to be tested are now being directed to the Mildura Recreation Reserve clinic.The Old Aerodrome Ovals clinic may be reactivated if demand returns.Covid commander Jeroen Weimar on Tuesday apologised for delays at the clinics, after many experienced severe waits or were told to go home when the line got too long.Additional staff from Bendigo, the Goulburn Valley and Melbourne were sent to Mildura to help the response.Sunraysia Community Health Services said test kit numbers were not a concern, with adequate stock available.The man in his 30s who tested positive initially tested negative last week but presented to Mildura Base Public Hospital on Saturday night.After testing positive, he became Mildura’s first new case in 465 days.He attended the Carlton-Geelong AFL match in the MCC reserve on July 10, with two other household members, before returning to Mildura.As of Thursday morning there were nine Mildura exposure sites classified as Tier 1 and another two listed as Tier 2.The Mildura Central shopping centre and Caffeine Extraction cafe were removed after initially being listed as exposure sites.Some sites along the Calder Hwy between Melbourne and Mildura are Tier 2 exposure sites from Sunday, July 11, including at Wycheproof.NED-3869-Covid-19-Exposure-Sites-VictoriaSeparately to the published list of exposure sites, the hospital has confirmed it was a Tier 1 location and visitors were being restricted.Hospital chief executive Terry Welch told the ABC there were 45 staff isolating.Mildura has been added to Victoria’s Commonwealth hotspot declaration.Premier Daniel Andrews said the spread to Mildura showed how far the virus could travel.“That just confirms for all of us, if we need any, that this thing moves quick, and if it’s a problem anywhere, it’s a problem everywhere,” Mr Andrews said.Mildura Mayor Jason Modica said the new case was “quite a concern”.“We’ve been put back on our heels because we have been isolated geographically (from the virus) over the last 15 months,” Councillor Modica told the Herald Sun.“We didn’t think it was going to come and now that it’s here we have to respond the best way we can.”Mildura Regional Development chief executive Brett Millington said local small business and tourism operators would be experiencing “a significant level of concern and distress”.“We were somewhat hopeful the lockdown would be shorter in regional Victoria and this will now exacerbate it,” Mr Millington said.“People have been frustrated with having to lockdown but this is an example of what can happen relatively quickly.”Mr Millington said Mildura is “fortunate” the lockdown “did happen when it did”. “In order to stay safe and stay open we need to keep doing the right things.”Follow The Mildura News on Facebook to keep up to date with other local [email protected]

Powered by WPeMatico

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most Popular

To Top