Vaccine rates in the state have languished for those aged under 40 amid supply issues but the Premier will now offer the preferred dose for younger recipients to others following “loud” calls from older age groups.“They said to me loud and clear they want to have a choice of vaccines, well I say let’s give it to them,” she told parliament on Wednesday.The state recorded no new community cases of Covid-19 infections on Wednesday with the Premier announcing authorities would make vaccines available for walk-ins for a “super weekend”.“There is only one way we win the war and that is to get as many Queenslanders as possible vaccinated,” Ms Palaszczuk said.“Starting this weekend, any Queenslander over 60 can get a Pfizer vaccine at any of our vaccination hubs.”The Premier has previously accused the federal government of being responsible for a vaccine supply shortfall but said nearly 190,000 Pfizer does arrived in the state on Monday.’In federal figures released on Tuesday, just over 20 per cent of those aged 16-19 had received their first dose of the vaccine, about 30 per cent of 20-24 year olds and 34 per cent of those aged 25-29.Comparatively, 76.86 per cent of those aged 60-64 had received their first dose, 81 per cent of those aged 65-69, and 86.84 per cent of those aged 70-74.“We will have more details on walk-in venues in coming days and increased capacities on weekends,” she said. “Bookings are preferred so that your appointment is assured.”Invoking the spirit of the recently cancelled Brisbane Royal Show, the Ekka, the Premier urged Queenslanders to “roll up! roll up!” to receive the virus protection.“Roll up to the vax clinic, roll up to your GP or pharmacy, roll up your sleeves and take your best shot,” she said.“Other states have to fight just to get a taste of freedom. We have to fight to hold onto ours.”No new cases of Covid-19 were recorded on Wednesday, providing a glimmer of hope the state has once again dodged a devastating outbreak. A number of students at the Thomas More College in south Brisbane tested positive this week after a family of five contracted the virus.More than 1000 families remain in isolation due to the cluster, with dozens of live exposure sites across the city’s south.
Powered by WPeMatico