- You can use AirPlay to stream content to your Roku from your iPhone, iPad or Mac.
- You’ll need an Apple device that’s capable of AirPlay and a Roku model that supports it.
- If Roku isn’t working with AirPlay, try restarting your devices and checking your Wi-Fi connection.
AirPlay, a useful casting feature on Apple products, allows you to stream media from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to many different Roku models. That means you can display videos, photos, and other media on your TV.
You can AirPlay content to your Roku from directly within apps and websites — like Hulu or HBO Max — on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Or, you can mirror your entire screen to your Roku from the Control Center on your iPhone or iPad, or from the menu bar on your Mac.
Here’s how to do it all.
How to enable AirPlay on Roku
Keep in mind that this section applies to streaming content through Airplay. (The next section addresses screen mirroring via Airplay.)
Roku models that support AirPlay
Not all Roku models will support the AirPlay function. For reference, here are the ones that do:
The following devices must be running Roku OS 9.4 or higher
- Roku TV models Axxxx, Cxxxx, CxxGB, and 7xxxx (where x equals any model number)
- Roku Streambar model 9102
- Roku Streambar Pro model 9101R2
- Roku Smart Soundbar models 9100 and 9101
- Roku Streaming Stick+ models 3810 and 3811
- Roku Streaming Stick 4K model 3820
- Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ model 3821
- Roku Express 4K model 3940
- Roku Express 4K+ model 3941
- Roku Premiere models 3920 and 4620
- Roku Premiere+ models 3921 and 4630
- Roku Ultra models 4600, 4640, 4660, 4661, 4670, and 4800
- Roku Ultra LT models 4662 and 4801
The following devices must be running Roku OS 10.0 or higher
- Roku TV model Dxxxx and 8xxxx (where x equals any model number)
- Roku Streaming Stick models 3600, 3800, and 3801
- Roku Express models 3900, 3930, and 3801
- Roku Express+ models 3910 and 3931
- Roku HD model 3932
- Roku 2 models 4205 and 4210
- Roku 3 models 4200, 4201, and 4230
For this to work, you’ll also need an Apple device that supports AirPlay, which is any iPhone, iPad, or iTouch running iOS 12.3 or later, or any Mac computer running MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 or later.
How to AirPlay from an iPhone or iPad to Roku
On your iPhone or iPad, find the song, video, photo, podcast, or other media you’d like to stream to your TV.
The next step changes depending on what app you’re trying to stream from. Here are some of the most common examples:
1. Tap Devices, located in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
2. In the Listening On menu, tap AirPlay or Bluetooth.
3. Tap the name of your Roku TV.
From the Apple Music app
1. Tap the AirPlay button at the bottom-center of the screen (the icon looks like three concentric circles with a triangle underneath).
2. Tap the name of your device.
From the Photos app
1. Tap the Share button, located in the bottom-left corner.
2. Scroll down on the Share menu until you see AirPlay, and tap it.
3. Tap the name of your TV in the pop-up.
From Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, and other mobile streaming apps
1. On the mobile app, begin playing the video you want to watch.
2. Tap the AirPlay icon at the top of the video screen (the icon looks like a square with a triangle underneath it).
3. In the pop-up, select your Roku device from the list of compatible AirPlay devices.
How to screen mirror from an iPhone or iPad to Roku
You can also mirror your iPhone to a Roku device via the Roku app. This is accessed through the Control Center on your device.
1. Open the Control Center on your device. On most recent devices, the Control Center can be accessed by swiping down from the upper-right corner of your home screen or lock screen. On older devices (those without a home button), access the Control Center by swiping up from the bottom of the home screen or lock screen.
2. Tap Screen Mirroring in the Control Center.
3. In the pop-up, select the name of your Roku device.
An AirPlay passcode may appear on your Roku screen — if so, enter the code in the pop-up on your iPhone or iPad.
4. Your entire iPhone or iPad screen should then begin mirroring onto your Roku.
How to AirPlay or screen mirror from Mac to Roku
Similarly to the previous section, you can also screen mirror from your Mac to a Roku device.
1. Make sure the AirPlay option is turned on on your Mac computer.
2. If you don’t see the AirPlay icon (a square with a triangle popping out of it) in the menu bar at the top of your screen, open System Preferences and select Displays.
3. At the bottom of the Displays page, check the box next to Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available.
4. Once the AirPlay option is turned on and you’re in range of your Roku TV, you can then click the AirPlay button in the menu bar at the top of your screen and select your Roku device from the list.
5. An AirPlay passcode may appear on your Roku screen — if so, enter the code in the pop-up on your Mac.
6. Your entire Mac screen should then begin mirroring onto your Roku.
Why is AirPlay on Roku not working?
There are several reasons why AirPlay may not be working for you. For example, your device might be out of date, your internet connection is too slow, or your devices might not be connected to the same WiFi signal.
Here are a few tips to help you troubleshoot the issue:
- Try restarting or resetting your Roku device.
- Verify that both devices are using the same internet source.
- Double-check that you’ve set up AirPlay correctly on your devices.
- Restart your router and/or modem.
Powered by WPeMatico